, Clay called for rotation, but the aircraft sped off the end of the runway before it could lift off. The flight was sold under the Delta brand as Delta Flight 5191 (DL5191) and was operated by Comair as Comair Flight 191 (OH191/COM191). First officer, James Polehinke, was the only survivor. Sole survivor of Comair Flight 5191 on August 27, 2006. , In 1993, a commercial jet at Blue Grass Airport was cleared for takeoff on Runway 22 but mistakenly took Runway 26 instead. , A memorial service for the victims was held on August 31, 2006, at the Lexington Opera House. Both Japanese passengers resided in Lexington, N431CA FAA registration certificate, retrieved June 19, 2008. , All but one of the passengers' families settled their cases. During a public meeting on July 26, 2007, the NTSB announced the probable cause of the accident, as follows: The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the flight crew members' failure to use available cues and aids to identify the airplane's location on the airport surface during taxi and their failure to cross-check and verify that the airplane was on the correct runway before takeoff. Doctors later determined that Polehinke had suffered brain damage, and has no memory of the crash or the events leading up to it. James Polehinke was born on July 20, 1962. Official Sites.  This runway has been built on a separate location not connected to the runway 22. Comair Flight 5191, marketed as Delta Connection Flight 5191, was a scheduled United States domestic passenger flight from Lexington, Kentucky, to Atlanta, Georgia, operated on behalf of Delta Connection by Comair. The flight was under the Delta Air Lines brand as Delta Connection flight 5191 (DL5191) and was operated by Comair as flight 5191. The sole survivor of a plane crash that killed 49 people last summer is suing the designer of Kentucky's Blue Grass Airport. " On August 30, 2006, the FAA announced that Lexington, as well as other airports with similar traffic levels, would be staffed with two controllers in the tower around the clock effective immediately. He was taken to Cardinal Hill from …  The decision to allow a jury trial was reversed in a later hearing, with the judge ruling that the company couldn't be punished for the "reprehensible conduct" of its pilot.. The aircraft involved was a 50-seat Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-100ER, serial number 7472.  Forty-nine of the 50 people on board perished in the accident; most of them died instantly in the initial impact. , The Flight 5191 Memorial Commission was established[by whom?] Election Day 2020: Americans cast final votes in divisive campaign, SEC fines, reprimands Florida coach Dan Mullen for role in brawl, Julianne Hough files for divorce from Brooks Laich, South Dakota AG 'distracted' when he fatally struck pedestrian, Wisconsin court sets bail for accused Kenosha killer at $2 million.  At the time of the accident, the single controller in the tower was performing both tower and radar duties. Polehinke had 6,564 flight hours, including 940 hours as a captain and 3,564 hours on the CRJ-100.:11–14.  In Comair's case against the United States, a settlement was reached with the United States agreeing to pay 22% of the liability for the crash, while Comair agreed to pay the remaining 78%. He suffered a broken spine, numerous other broken bones, a collapsed lung and his left leg was amputated.  During the same month, Polehinke filed a lawsuit against the airport and the company that designed the runway and taxi lights. James Polehinke, the first officer, suffered serious injuries, including multiple broken bones, a collapsed lung, and severe bleeding. Cockpit voice transcripts of a Comair flight that crashed on take-off in Lexington, Ky., last August show the pilots were talking about everything but flying.  Although these recommendations were published during the course of the NTSB's investigation into the accident to Comair Flight 5191, they were in part prompted by four earlier accidents, and the board was unable to determine whether fatigue contributed to the Comair accident. In December of the following year, Forester granted a passenger family's motion for "partial summary judgment" determining, as a matter of law, that Comair's flight crew was negligent, and that this negligence was a substantial factor causing the crash of Flight 5191. Polehinke was flying the plane when it crashed, but it was the flight's captain, Jeffrey Clay, who taxied the aircraft onto the wrong runway. The badly injured co-pilot who was the lone survivor of a Kentucky plane crash in August is apparently unaware of what happened, family friends said. , The estates or families of 21 of the 47 passengers filed lawsuits against Polehinke.  In the National Transportation Safety Board report on the crash, investigators concluded that the likely cause of the crash was pilot error..